Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Tough Crowd


Okay, I'm just gonna say it - not the best audience we've ever had. In fact - well, let's just say, in the spirit of Rodney Dangerfield, "Tough crowd. Tough crowd!" (I could also say "I get no respect", but I wouldn't go that far.)
It was a tough crowd, though. Tough to capture, tough to please. The beauty of theater is that every night, every show is new and unique. You never know what you're gonna get. They certainly paid attention - even clapped along during the entré act for Act Two, but somehow we knew we just didn't have them. Or at least it felt that way for most of the show. I felt confident that by the end we'd get them on their feet. And sure enough, when the "rock concert" that is the finale - "Mamma Mia", "Dancing Queen", and our secret weapon "Waterloo" washed over them, the kool aid had taken effect and they were sedentary no longer. It's like a drug. A prescription that works every time. Astonishing.
___________________________________

Okay, I can't tell a lie. I wrote that post before the end of the show, halfway through the second act. I was projecting, putting a positive spin on things. Hoping for the best. Boy was I surprised!
I am so angry right now! Angry at the audience! I know, "Who do I think I am? They paid their money, they can do what they want". Yeah, yeah, I know, but come on! I killed myself out there. We all did! Show a little appreciation. It started when we got no applause after "Take A Chance." None! Not a peep! What gives? Allison and I killed ourselves out there. And we're frickin' funny, dammit! Nothing?
Then, in the final number, "Waterloo", the killer-of-all-killers, the sure fire-get-them-on-their-feet, leave-nothing-on-the-table number --- nothing! Well, okay, something, but a very little something. Heads bobbing, small, placid grin on the face. Satisfaction, but hardly jubilation! And the worst offenders? Right down front - FRONT ROW - aisle seats (if you're reading this, you know who you are!) They had the gall - the GALL - to actually stay in their seats! Didn't budge! Sure they smiled and clapped a bit, a knowing grin of satisfaction on their faces. But I wasn't buyin' it.

"If you're gonna come to my house, you're gonna ROCK!"

But alas, nothing. Disgusting. I can only hope and expect that future audiences will show more self respect and behave accordingly. As John and I quote each night before our final entrance (and in the infamous words of AC/DC),
"For those about to rock, we salute you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment