Monday, October 12, 2009

Mondays and Gerbils


Monday night on Broadway. It just sounds wrong. But hey, producers gotta sell tickets, especially in a tough economy. And boy did they ever! Another sold out - or close to it - show tonight. But after Friday night, 2 Saturday and 2 Sunday shows, it always feels like we're tripping over something as we do the Monday night show. Just not quite in step.

Martha our resident director was here tonight, gave us a few notes after the show. It's a double edged sword; on the one hand, indignation -"Whaddya mean I need to raise the stakes in that scene?" "Quicker? But that bit is playing perfectly" - on the other, relief - "Oh thank God you're watching. I don't want the show to become a parody of itself." I think it's too easy for a show like MM! to get away from the core of it's sweet story and just become a parody, pandering itself - and the performance - to the audience. But we're a long way from that.

And now under the category of "From the mouths of babes" comes this gem:
First, some background. If you've yet to see the show, or read my bio, you can link to it here: http://www.mamma-mia.com/broadway/cast_PATRICKBOLL.asp
The final line of my bio reads: "Patrick lives in New Jersey with 2 children, 2 labrador retrievers and one wife." My sad attempt at dry humor.
My 6 year old boy's best friend Miles was babysitting his class gerbil over the weekend. My son loves it so much he decides he's going to ask for one for Christmas. Suddenly he becomes distraught: "But Dad, I can't get a gerbil."
"Why not, buddy?"
"Cause it'll mess up your bio in the program."
Is this kid wicked funny, or am I just being a proud papa?

3 comments:

  1. oh dear sweet e! how i love that kid and his wickedly funny sense of humor. but you know he's right, it would just mess up the aesthetics of it all. or at least the numerology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my god your son is precious. and i totally dig the program joke. if i were an anonymous audience member who didn't know you, i'd laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops, that last comment was from me.

    ReplyDelete