Sunday, October 25, 2009

Great Weekend!

Unbelievably exciting day and matinee performance! Not sure why, considering it's a humid, rainy day in NYC (and weather always seems to effect theater audiences), but I'm thrilled for it since my Aunt Kathy and Cousin Amy are here, visiting from Ohio and celebrating a certain someones 70th Bday! Happy Bday, Aunt Kath!
Funny clout moment of the day: I called Joe Allen Restaurant, the famous theater hangout, for dinner reservations for us and was told they were all booked up.  Then I "mentioned" that it was too bad, "I can only make it between my shows."
"What show is that?", I was asked.
"Well I'm in Mamma Mia, so I can only make it for early dinner.  And I DID work for Joe in the past - I was a waiter at Orso Restaurant (owned by Joe Allen).
The maitrĂ©d's response? "Well sir, you need to tell us these things first. Of course we have a table for you."  MM! membership has its privileges.
*And if the matinee was fun, the evening show was beyond!  What a day! Must have been something in the air.  Responsive, excited - full audience on their feet by the end!  When they're clapping along during "Take A Chance", we know they're a good audience.  Favorite moment? After the show and the cool down and the exit and the autographs outside the stage door and the walk through a rain-soaked Times Square and getting to my gate at Port Authority Bus Terminal I'm waiting in line for my bus with a young couple I'm front of me - a well dressed Indian gentleman and quite pleasant date.  After 5minutes of waiting, and some odd staring, he finally asks, "Are you with the...are you in the Mamma Mia?"
"Yes, I am."
You would have thought he was meeting Gandhi himself.
"Oh my gosh! It is you! I thought you were him, cause you look like him, the beard and all... Look-" he points out to his compatriot, "It's him! You were wonderful. The whole show - wonderful. Wonderful! So much fun!"  And he went on like that for the whole bus ride.  It was delightful, again, to chat with fans who are so appreciative of not only my work (which is nice to hear) but of the show itself.  Believe me, it's hard to come down from a day like this.  I didn't get to bed till almost 2:30am!
*Sunday, a different story.  Nice audiences, receptive, but not very enthusiastic.  We all felt like we were performing a show with a big group hangover. Whew!
*We're now we're halfway through a 13 show run. Brutal, but challenging!

1 comment:

  1. It was an absolute blast ,Pat!!! Glad we got to witness the magic!! Thanks for taking care of us at JA's! Love you guys:)

    ReplyDelete