Monday, September 21, 2009

A Little Respect, Please!


I'm trying to stay to task, writing only about my MM! experience, and listen, I'm not complaining. I'm a working actor and nothing could make me happier. I'm about to open - tomorrow night! - in a hit Broadway show - Mamma Mia! There are hordes of actors out there who would give their right arm to be in my position, and I know that! I have nothing but deep gratitude for the opportunity before me and I look forward to relishing every minute of it.

HOWEVER...

You would think, or at least I did as I watched the Emmy's last night, that at least ONE of the men that I have had the pleasure of understudying over the years would give me a little SHOUT OUT! A little thank you! A little "I'd be nowhere if it weren't for the support of Patrick Boll who understudied me in (insert Broadway show title here.)" You would think...

But Nooooo....

First it was Alec Baldwin. Alec and I spent four months together in TWENTIETH CENTURY at the Roundabout Theater where I played the pivotal role of Detective Barnes as well as understudying the secondary, not so pivotal, yet lead role of Oscar Jaffe. Alec is a great guy and a wonderful man to work with. Last night he won the Emmy, for the second time, for Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Comedy for 30 ROCK, which, if you've ever seen it, is hilarious! He gave a wonderful and heartfelt acceptance speech, except for the fact that he neglected to mention ME. Obviously a simple oversight.

Then it was my friend Michael Emerson who also won the Emmy for his performance in LOST. Michael is an amazing actor and it's a privilege to count him among my friends. Michael and I did HEDDA GABLER on Broadway during one of the most trying times our country has ever experienced - September, 2001. Our second rehearsal was to be held Tuesday, September 11. I, as most others, remember the day vividly. Though we struggled to make sense of a world seemingly gone haywire, we trudged forth, doing what we know best. Michael played the role of Tesman, husband to the ill-fated Hedda. When he was called upon to present the first of what has turned out to be many Emmy Awards over the years, I stepped into the role that I had been understudying for months. I was overjoyed to get the chance to go on and for my first time on Broadway it was an amazing experience. I'm thrilled that he won the Emmy. (I really am!) He also gave a wonderful and heartfelt acceptance speech, except for the fact that he also neglected to mention ME. Obviously, another simple oversight. Hmm..

In any event, less than 24 hours to go. Tomorrow we have a full dress rehearsal in the afternoon which includes the entire cast in full costume along with full lights, sets, props - everything but a full audience. The two days off have been good - to an extent. After the "high" of doing the run on Friday and the "letdown" of going back to the rehearsal space for notes on Saturday - in which I learned that Mick Jagger was right and "You Can't Always Get What You Want" since we came to the conclusion that no part of my costume will be changed, at this point - I think the break has given rise to two alternating feelings: 1) excitement about the experience to come, and 2) dread about the same thing!

In the end it's a moot point. At 8PM tomorrow night, the show WILL go on! There's no business like show business...

No comments:

Post a Comment