Thursday, August 27, 2009

Dancin' & Singin' to Swedish Pop Songs

Singin' and dancin' - that's what it's all about.

Today started with another music rehearsal, this time going through every song, or part of a song, that I sing. I actually don't sing any major solos, but I sing an awful lot of "bits" in smaller songs. The real fun of it is the music itself. It's infectious. I know that we all know ABBA music and we may have our varying opinions about it, but when you listen to it, and especially when you start singing it, it really is hard not to just feel good. It's infectious. Oh, I just said that. Well, for lack of a better word, it is infectious. (By the way, I never promised deeply insightful blogs on EVERY outing, did I?)

So first I sang - Thank You For The Music, Mamma Mia, Voulez Vous, Waterloo - then, I danced.

We learned the finale today, and I gotta tell you, trying to put dance steps together with music and lyrics - it ain't easy! It's the old "rub the tummy and pat the head at the same time" trick. First of all I'm still trying to remember lyrics to the songs, but when you add in the idea of having to do specific movements with specific lyrics (that you don't even know yet!) timed to a specific point in the music, it becomes very confusing. I'll admit, I'm a pretty good athlete and I'm fairly well coordinated, but dancing is like speaking Swahili to me. It's a whole different language. I admire and applaud the real dancers (not only because they have "smoking hot bodies" (the men and the women!)), but because what they do requires a discipline and a focus far beyond what most people are capable of. It's remarkable!

So I just struggle through, trying not to look too foolish, and hoping, like the kid at the back of the class, that no one will notice when I constantly screw up! But in all honesty, it's a blast to do and I think, for the first day, I did okay.

Thank God I took notes, now I just have to study them...

No comments:

Post a Comment